It’s time for the 2021 CrossFit Games Open, and we’re taking things to the next level here at JR CrossFit. Here’s a full roundup of everything you need to know about the CrossFit Games Open, as well as the JR CrossFit Intramural Open…
For those unfamiliar, the CrossFit Open is a worldwide sporting event hosted by CrossFit to bring together athletes from around the world. The CrossFit Open will run for three weeks, and the workouts will be released every Thursday night.
At JR this year, we’re hosting the JR CrossFit Intramural Open. This is a way for you to team up with (and against) your fellow JR CrossFit athletes. You can sign up at the front desk and you’ll be split into four teams. Each team will have a captain.
If you’d like to, you can sign up on the CrossFit website to track your score and compare it against athletes from around the world. The cost here is $20, but it’s completely optional. You can also just sign up for the JR CrossFit Intramural Open for free at the front desk.
Key dates to know:
- March 5, Sign-up deadline: Look for the signup sheet at the front desk. It’s free to sign up for the JR CrossFit Intramural Open, and you can sign up with CrossFit for $20 if you want to see how your score compares with other CrossFit athletes around the world.
- March 7, Draft Day: Four captains, selected by JR CrossFitstaff, will take turns selecting team members by drawing for the Intramural Open.
- March 7, Post-draft Party 2:30 pm: A good ol fashion JRCF party to commemorate the start of the open.
- March 12, The Games Begin: On Friday, March 12, March 19, and March 26, we will host Friday Night Festivities at JRCrossFit where you will complete the Open workout, show your team pride, and sign your scorecard.
What to expect on workout days:
Every Friday during the Open (March 12, March 19, and March 26), we’ll be having Friday Night Lights at the box from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. This is when you’ll come and do that week’s workout, show your team spirit, and compete with the other three teams. Coach Matt will assign your heats each week so you know when to workout.
- Come in dressed in your team colors and show your team pride
- Complete the workout to the standards set at the beginning of the night
- Sign your score card
Plus, we’ll be expanding the camaraderie to include other CrossFit boxes from around town. This will allow for some friendly competition…be sure to stay tuned for more details on that!
Scoring and prize:
This is a competition, after all. But there’s one key thing to note about the JR CrossFit Intramural Open: the emphasis is on participation, not performance. This means that you just have to show up and do the work, plus cheer on your teammates, to be successful.
Here’s how the scoring will break down:
- Attendance – Points are awarded for each team player who completes the workout each week. 2 points for completing the workout on Friday night.
- Performance – 1 point awarded to the males AND females in the top 3 in Peak and top 3 Base.
- Spirit – 15 points Awarded to the team that has the most pride, noise, and of course PRESENCE each week
- Bonus – 2 points Awarded to each athlete who officially registers for the Open on games.crossfit.com
And if your team wins? The team with the most points at the end of the Intramural Open will have a plaque forever commemorating the win displayed in the lobby of the gym.
The CrossFit Open and JR Intramural Open are great opportunities to team up with your fellow athletes and test all the progress you’ve made. You don’t want to miss out on it!